Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Finding out

I found out my friend had kidney failure last October. We were having a very nice Thai curry in London when she mentioned that she had to go to dialysis that night. I had to stop her mid sentence to check I heard her correctly. "Dialysis?". She then told me that she had kidney failure and had been waiting for a kidney for 4 years.

I was slightly shocked as she looks like she is completely fine and I never suspected that she was ill at all.

She also told me how her whole family had been tested as donors but they were all the wrong blood group and couldn't be a donor for her. My first thought was to drag her in to the hospital and get tested as a donor but I didn't say anything at the time. I have jumped straight into things in the past without really thinking properly about them and this kind of thing isn't something to be taken lightly.

I said my goodbyes and came home to Leeds but couldn't get the thought of offering to be tested out of my head. In fact, I almost knew that I would be a match and this was before I knew we were the same blood group.

No comments: