Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The first steps

After offering to be a donor I had to actually find out how to go about being tested. There is lots of advice for recipients and donors but not a lot about taking the first steps. I spent a while trying to get a blood test to confirm what my blood type was which I found out wasn't necessary. I then spoke to my local hospital's renal department who were very helpful. They told me I needed to get my friend to contact her transplant coordinator to let her know I had offered to be tested. The next thing I knew I had an email from the coordinator (here on in called Alex) asking if I had actually offered or not.

After all the formalities were over I arranged with my local GP to have some blood samples taken in some vials sent to me by Alex. They were taken and sent back down to the hospital to be tested and cross matched with my friend's blood. The samples were taken and sent down on a Monday, on Wednesday I had a phone call from Alex telling me that the cross match was negative (this is a good thing). I can't really explain what went through my head at this point. All I can say is that it feels very strange to experience two conflicting and extreme opposite emotions at the same time. It was a combination of fear and apprehension and excitement and elation.

It's very strange indeed.

No comments: